WHY SAY NO TO DRUGS?
Seriously, why say no to drugs? I mean we have to heal of every disease we are diagnosed with by doctors, so why say No to Drugs? The only difference here is, no sane doctor has described these drugs being used, and we are not trying to heal any disease, instead, we are self-inflicting different kind of diseases and worst of all abusing these drugs that should help us in healing, what an irony.
You are a leech to this society!
No, not you, I’m abusing the drugs. To avoid misconception, let’s have a proper definition of Drug abuse which at other times is called substance abuse. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) in1969 Substance abuse is “persistent or sporadic excessive drug use inconsistent with or unrelated to acceptable medical practice”.
In simple terms, it is the use of hard or illegal drugs in such a way that does not align with the proper medical practice across the world. It is no news the damaging effect these drugs cause to our body and life as a whole, but all I can see is the reverse psychology working.
Smokers are liable to die young,
But I see a lot of people smoking as a normal lifestyle now, after all, we would all die at the end of the day some would say. And since all we hear is Say no to drugs, I decided to look from another angle ‘why say no to drugs’? Now that I have your attention, let’s deal with the matter arising.
I remember several years ago while watching a TV drama with my younger brother who was 8 years old at that time, legitimately a child; there was this scene of Jim Iyke sniffing cocaine, smearing his moustache and tip of the nose.
Next thing I heard him ask “Is that cocaine?”
Beyond no doubts, I was shocked but not too surprised. Children cognitive ability to learn very fast especially the negative is high. “yes” I responded and didn’t hesitate to give him a breakdown of the effects of taking such drugs, which would be stated below. But of course, we all know these things, just maybe there is a little different perception to this;
Firstly, cocaine a.k.a coke is not the only hard drugs available as opposed to the perception films and TV portrays, there are so many other hard drugs like cannabis, marijuana, barbiturates, methaqualone, opioids, alcohol, tramadol, and worst of all cough syrups like codeine, Parkalin syrup and so many others. Some of which I must say is quite easy to get and not so illegal as described, but the misuse of these drugs causes these dangerous effects;
- Weaken the immune system, increasing susceptibility to infections.
- Causes cardiovascular conditions ranging from abnormal heart rate to heart attacks. Injected drugs can also lead to collapsed veins and infections of the blood vessels and heart valves.
- Cause nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
- Cause the liver to have to work harder, possibly causing significant damage or liver failure.
- Cause seizures, stroke and widespread brain damage that can impact all aspects of daily life by causing problems with memory, attention and decision-making, including sustained mental confusion and permanent brain damage.
- Produce global body changes such as breast development in men, dramatic fluctuations in appetite and increases in body temperature, which may impact a variety of health conditions.
All of the above signifies the adverse health effects, and if health is wealth are you poor or wealthy? Why say no to drugs? Because you have to say yes to life, to live a good healthy life, you deserve it.